First Nation, Métis, and/or Inuit applicants who are domestic students may contact the program and receive a code to waive the program application fee. In order to make use of this offer, you will need the code before beginning your application file.
1. Find a supervisor
All applicants are required to identify and confirm a supervisor in the WACH program, prior to applying.
View prospective supervisors and their research interests on the Find a Supervisor page.
Please email supervisors directly and attach your curriculum vitae for their review and response.
When you have identified an interested supervisor, please inform Natalie Twohey. We will organize a ‘Supervisor Agreement’ document with the supervisor to confirm their willingness and availability to supervise the applicant.
2. Organize required documents
The following documents are required for application to the WACH program:
1. Completed online application form, with application fee paid.
2. Letters of references:
- Three (3) letters of reference are required.
- Referees should be able to comment on applicant’s strengths in academics, research, and/or professional settings.
- For PhD applicants, 1 reference must be submitted by the applicant’s Master’s supervisor.
- For MSc applicants, applicants should organize 1 reference from their research project supervisor, if one was completed in their undergraduate degree.
- Referees will be sent instructions to complete e-reference forms or upload reference letters to the online application system. Please note: the application system is unable to accept e-mails from Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, MSN or other free e-mail accounts.
- Sealed and signed/endorsed envelopes can be mailed to: Attn: Natalie Twohey, WACH Program, C420-4500 Oak St, Vancouver BC, V6H 3N1.
- High quality scan of front and back of official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous post-secondary studies.
4. Curriculum vitae (CV)
5. One (1) example of your scholarly writing, such as a term paper or a substantial scholarly paper.
6. Signed Supervisor Agreement from research supervisor. Please follow directions in step 1 to obtain this document.
7. English proficiency test scores: Applicants from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application.
The minimum English proficiency test scores for the WACH program are as follows:
Visit www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/english-proficiency-requirements for a list of acceptable English proficiency tests, and submission instructions
If English testing services in your region have been interrupted, please contact Natalie Twohey.
If an applicant is admitted to the WACH program, it is required that all final and official transcripts be received by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/transcripts-academic-documents
3. Complete online application
a. Create a UBC Campus-Wide Login, if you do not already have one: https://activate.id.ubc.ca/iamweb/
b. Complete the online application: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/apply-online
c. All supporting documentation and reference submissions must be received and/or uploaded by 2 weeks after the applicable deadline.
|For admission in:||Applications open||International applicant
|September 2023||December 6, 2022||February 24, 2023||March 31, 2023|
|January 2024||April 24, 2023||June 29, 2023||July 27, 2023|
|May 2024||August 21, 2023||October 26, 2023||November 23, 2023|
All supporting documentation and reference submissions must be received and/or uploaded by 2 weeks after the applicable deadline.
Deadlines are organized to support students in applying for study permits, etc. Anticipated acceptance dates are based on completion of all elements of the application, and will be communicated at that time.
For questions regarding documentation required for application, or to be added to a mailing list for regular updates, please contact Natalie Twohey, WACH Program Manager